Monday, February 15, 2010

Schiele


today I have to write, a lot, about this man named Egon Schiele and how a Psychoanalytic Approach to art history can be applied to his self-portraits and Expressionism in general. I've been reading a lot of Freud and biographies about Schiele. I feel pretty good about my paper.

I have really liked Schiele for a while now, my area of study is the Weiner Werkstatte and basically Vienna in general at the end of the 19th/beginning of the 20th century. I really really love art history. I think people either love it or hate it.

Schiele seems to be considered a "tortured genius" in almost every biography I have read so far. I might agree. I really like how he comes across in this scary, aggressive, erotic, overtly sexual way. His images are really lovely. His use of line is amazing. You could write an entire paper on just that. They look so frantic as if he couldn't draw fast enough. see for yourself.

Now, I'm going to make myself some tea and start typing.
♥ a

p.s. I think it's really funny how this image is above one of sea otters holding hands.

No comments: