Tuesday, June 16, 2009

G Free Diet by, Elizabeth Hasselbeck

Elizabeth Hasselbeck and I have our differences but I put those aside when I read this book because finally there is a celebrity that can perhaps create more awareness about Celiac Disease. After all, there is an estimate of 1 out of 133 in America with CD. More awareness also means more attention to the needs of people with CD. Everyday there are more and more wonderful new brands of delicious G Free foods being stocked in our supermarkets and health food stores. Everyday there are also more and more restaurants that are helping out people like me by making it easier to go out to eat and not have to worry about the consequences.

This book is very helpful. If you are living with CD or you think you may have it or if you just want to understand what it is, read this book. Elizabeth Hasselbeck does a good job of doing her research but even though the book is wham bam full of information, it still reads like a memoir or a nice conversation with a friend.

♥ A

You can have a look at the book here : http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-G-Free-Diet/Elisabeth-Hasselbeck/e/9781599951881

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your review of the book. I hoping that because she is some what of a celeb that she can bring more awareness to CD and more GF menus in restaurants! I will buy this book!

Tiffany said...

I agree this book is great for creating awareness for our cause but it is hardly well researched in terms of ingredents that we need to avoid. And the dining card in the back of the book is very inaccurate but it's not the author's fault as far as I can tell. The nutritionist who consulted on the book still uses the term BROW (barely, rye, oats and wheat) so she's clearly lagging behind in terms of what is and isn't safe to consume on the gluten-free diet. Gluten-free oats have been on the market here since early 2006. Gluten-free Diet : A Comprehensive Resource Guide by Shelley Case (gluten-free diet nutrition expert) is a much better guide if one is gluten-free for health reasons. Thanks to GFree Diet for spreading awareness but we do need to point out the misinformation in it.

Alex H said...

thanks for your comments. I think the reason they list oats is because they either 1. didn't really do their research or 2. they don't want people thinking they can just eat any oats. I have been buying GF oats for a while so I know better.
It is a good book to own if you have CD. It shouldn't be anyone's main source of information on the disease by any means but it is helpful.
I like reading about other people with CD because there are so many stories where I go "been there, done that."
thanks ♥

andrea said...

She's being sued for having plagiarized the book:

http://www.examiner.com/x-1423-Baltimore-Celebrity-Examiner~y2009m6d23-Elisabeth-Hasselbeck-plagiarism-charges-expose-embarrassingly-similar-ideas

Alex H said...

well, that's too bad. it's sad that she would have to plagarize a book that I could write in a few hours.

andrea said...

I know, right? To me, it says a lot about her "morals" that she would lie and knowingly accept money/praise for another person's work.